THE HOLY TRINITY | Asparagus, lemon and rosemary sprigs.
Asparagus and lemon are like husband and wife, they simply belong together. Enhance it with rosemary sprigs and there you have it: perfect matrimonial bliss.
This roast asparagus lemon pepper dish is simply one of my favourite side dishes. So easy to prepare and easy to please. A touch of citrusy lemon zest, crack of black pepper, scent from a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, and light drizzle of a high quality extra virgin olive oil transforms this dish from simplicity to sublime.
Roast Asparagus with Rosemary and Lemon Zest
PREP TIME: 10 mins | COOK TIME: 10 mins | TOTAL TIME: 20 mins | YIELDS: 2-3 side servings
- 1 bunch of medium-large stemmed asparagus
- Few fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt flakes.
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of a high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200℃ / 400℉. With a sharp knife, slice lemon into thin slices.
- Wash asparagus and pat dry. Line a roasting tray with baking paper and layer asparagus stems. Drizzle olive oil on top, and toss with 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice until evenly coated. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of sea salt flakes and generously season with freshly-cracked black pepper.
- Roast for 8-12 minutes, or until the tips begin to brown and the asparagus is tender. Remove and garnish with lemon zest.