GUILT-FREE BANANA BREAD | Relish guiltlessly in this moist loaf made without butter
I totally have a soft spot for moist, delicious banana bread. However, I noticed my waistline thinks otherwise so I’ve been meticulous with this treat (read: trying to not make it a daily routine everytime I walk past the coffee shop on the way to work).
To this I have found a remedy. The satisfaction of baking your own banana bread from scratch – without butter – is a therapy in and of itself. From the mashing action of the overripe bananas, to the mixing of the wet and dry ingredients, and of course, the smell of the loaf oozing from your oven – words don’t do justice to describe the satisfaction derived from the overall process. And because I’ve come up with a recipe that does away with the butter, you can enjoy this moist loaf without the associated guilt factor.
Guilt-free Banana Bread
PREP TIME: 20 mins | BAKING TIME: 40 mins | TOTAL TIME: 60 mins | YIELDS: 8-9 slices
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 115 g of yoghurt (Greek or natural)
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut / brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a loaf pan.
- Mash bananas.
- Beat eggs. Fold in the mashed bananas, yoghurt, maple syrup and coconut sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour with the salt and baking powder.
- Pour dry ingredients into the wet and fold till well combined.
- Pour batter into loaf and put into the oven for 40 minutes or so. Test with an inserted toothpick: if it comes out clean then the loaf is ready.
- Remove loaf from tin and let cool. Slice into 1.5 cm slices. Dust with icing sugar before serving. To store for later, banana bread can be kept frozen. Feel free to toast the banana bread in your toaster before serving. Enjoy!