“I love you BERRY much” Blueberry Muffins | The moistest blueberry muffins with a lemon sugar crumble to take it over the top.
There is something just so homey and comforting about blueberry muffins. The thought of sitting down to relax, with a nice cuppa tea in one hand and taking a steamy bite of a freshly baked blueberry muffin is DIY therapy for my soul.
For those who are more health-conscious out there, I have managed to come up with a moist mouth-wateringly delicious blueberry muffin with a drastically reduced sugar and butter content. The key is to load up on the sour cream. Sour cream will add moisture to these muffins, doing away with the addition of extra butter.
Last but not least, the addition of a lemon-zested sugar crumble takes this muffin over the top.
These muffins are chock full of berry goodness and the sour cream makes them extra moist.
Super Moist Blueberry Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20-25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes | Makes: 10 medium sized muffins
- 1/4 cup (60g) of butter, softened
- 30g of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar crystals
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (roughly one lemon juiced)
- 1 1/4 tablespoons of grated lemon zest
- 1 cup of sour cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F and butter muffin moulds. Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl until combined. Add in egg, sour cream, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat again until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
- Fold in dry ingredients into the sour cream mixture and fold with spatula. Gently stir in blueberries until throughly combined.
- To make topping, combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar crystals with 1/4 teaspoon of grated lemon zest. Sprinkle ~1/4 teaspoon on the top of each muffin before shoving it into the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Remove. Let rest for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Best served warm.