What to do with an overripe avocado? An instinctive response would be to “mash it”! On that note, I decided to make a quick, healthy and fulfilling lunch that took no longer than 20 minutes. Whole wheat penne with mashed avocado dressing mixed in with a tomato salsa and garnished with parmesan shavings.
- 1 Avocado
- Wholewheat Penne Pasta (2 cups cooked)
- 1 tomato (diced into cubes)
- 1 garlic clove (grated)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper (as required)
1) Boil a pot of water and add pasta in. Cook according to package instructions (roughly 12 minutes for whole wheat penne if you are aiming for ‘al dente’ texture). In the meantime, mash avocado in a bowl. Squeeze juice of one lime and sprinkle pepper and salt. Grate some garlic into the mixture and mix well with a fork. Adjust taste according to personal preference.
2) Add chopped tomatoes into the avocado paste and mix together with the fork. 3) Drain cooked pasta in a colander and pour into bowl. Combine avocado tomato mixture with the pasta and toss to distribute evenly. 4) Garnish with more chopped tomatoes and freshly grated parmesan before serving.